#Pitcairn

The official forum for Operation Pitcairn.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Any info on the island?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Voyd

PostSubject: Any info on the island?   Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:07 pm

Is there any pictures, or can you find it on a map. What information is there on this island?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diogenes

PostSubject: Re: Any info on the island?   Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:32 am

Voyd wrote:
Is there any pictures, or can you find it on a map. What information is there on this island?

Google and wikipedia are your friends. Henderson Island Pitcairn Island, go. Bing.com has great maps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yuntay

PostSubject: Re: Any info on the island?   Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:23 pm

I'd like to point out that Henderson and the other two smaller uninhabited islands flood, hence why only Pitcairn is populated. If we were to set up on Henderson, we'd have to work out some sort of system to prevent the island from flooding (barriers?). During the early 20th century, most of Pitcairn's population of 190+ left the island as it became crowded, with many returning years later, so unless we want a defunct community of 50ish like they have at the moment, I suggest we have about 100 people in total (with births having to be okayed by the island's governing body (we don't want to end up being overcrowded, in case we can't prevent Henderson from being flooded)).

Also, I was thinking of maybe putting a wind turbine on Pitcairn (or one of the other islands if possible) as a source of free energy for everyone. Not a massive one like those you see out to sea, but a small one. Also, before you ask if it could operate in such weather, the sea around the islands has typhoons in the November-March months, which of course means wind, but I don't know about the rest of the year.

Last edited by Yuntay on Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diogenes

PostSubject: Re: Any info on the island?   Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:33 pm

Source on Henderson Island flooding? It's 30 meters high and very steep. I'd like to know how a hillside floods with steep drainage to the sea in all directions. Perhaps it's only the central depression that floods?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yuntay

PostSubject: Re: Any info on the island?   Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:06 pm

I haven't got a source, as it was a while back when I found this out, and the source didn't go into detail so I do see what you mean with it sounding a little far fetched. I can only assume it is the island's steepness that is its downfall - while there is steep drainage, the very center, if I am correct, doesn't allow this and is also the most likely spot for building on, hence the best building spot is flooded. I don't know if this is correct and is merely my assumption based on a source I got a while back from god-knows-where, but that's my point in. Apologies if I got it wrong, and apologies that my spelling is crap. I'm not the best speller and the spellchecker built into google chrome isn't too good either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any info on the island?   Today at 11:51 am

Back to top Go down

Any info on the island?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1