#Pitcairn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

#Pitcairn

The official forum for Operation Pitcairn.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Diogenes

Diogenes

Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner? Empty
PostSubject: Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner?   Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Not that any of you fags know how to sail, but I bet even fewer of you are diesel mechanics.

It takes a 7 knot ship approximately 3 weeks to sail from San Diego to Henderson Island. That's a pretty normal speed for a diesel vessel, not sure about sailboats. Schooners are more expensive and simultaneously smaller, but don't require insane amounts of diesel fuel which is running $4/gallon and will doubtless continue to rise.

On the other hand, we need fresh water desalinization and biodiesel could be made at our settlements for free. There is a very small fresh water spring on the island, but we don't know if it's safe or enough for the population we will be establishing.

When we establish a mainland base, would it be possible to build our own oceanworthy sailboat? It's more likely than you think! Fags like to build boats out of trash and sail them across the pacific, I'm sure we could do better if we put our minds, time, and resources to it. This would be the optimal solution, allowing us to build a large enough vessel to meet our needs, and serving as a stepping stone towards our goals. (Mainland settlement -> Seafaring freedom -> Permanent colonization of an island for an offshore settlement.)

Subidea: The island we settle isn't the main settlement but instead our fleet of ships is, with the settlement producing food and fuel and doing repairs. This has an obvious questions of logistics, but its advantage is that no one could really make us do anything, and we could get internets at much better speed offshore of developed nations. Ausfags and New Zealanders ahoy. Primary cost of this would be internet connectivity for a boat load bandwidth hungry barbarians, which we're going to be paying for one way or the other no matter what we do.

Three options, each rather distinct in costs, risks, advantages, and disadvantages.

Last edited by Diogenes on Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Voyd

Voyd

PostSubject: Re: Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner?   Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 9:13 pm

The scary thing about all this is, is that there is a chance that any government at any time could easily come and take it all away from us if they don't like what we are doing, or worse some pirates could roll up and take all of our shit and or kill us, I don't know if that area has any pirate problems, but if its in international waters, were open game for any crazy assholes out there.
Back to top Go down
Tony
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner?   Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner? I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2011 9:50 pm

My sister is certified in sailing, i can get her to teach me how if anyone has a sailboat.
Back to top Go down
Diogenes

Diogenes

PostSubject: Re: Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner?   Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 4:26 am

Voyd wrote:
The scary thing about all this is, is that there is a chance that any government at any time could easily come and take it all away from us if they don't like what we are doing, or worse some pirates could roll up and take all of our shit and or kill us, I don't know if that area has any pirate problems, but if its in international waters, were open game for any crazy assholes out there.

There are risks. Piracy is not likely to be one of them, as they stick close to choke points and their own shores and like to ransom for millions of dollars. If we remain isolated and without much money as we are certain to do for a very long time, "We may remain secure by being poor, and having no one desire more than his fellow."

On the other hand, government force is unpredictable. That's why militancy is important. We have to be ready to be murdered by the state, even if that's not the most likely outcome. Being well armed and well trained helps manage that risk. The most likely risk is that we lose all investment we've made in infrastructure on the island. That investment itself is going to be much less than the investments in our transportation and mainland base, especially at first.

In homesteading, the longer you're there and the more established you become, the more likely you are to be 'allowed' to stay. The key issue is that we're settling uninhabited land, or terra nullius. It may be claimed by the pitcairn islands and by extension the brits, but they're not using it. And there are many other islands we may choose to settle instead. That's just the 'working title,' as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
Vur hosten

PostSubject: Re: Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner?   Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 8:57 pm

not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but it's a world heritage site (as of '88) and the last guy who tried to settle there was kicked off because of that.
Back to top Go down
Diogenes

Diogenes

PostSubject: Re: Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner?   Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 7:42 am

Vur hosten wrote:
not sure if this has been pointed out yet, but it's a world heritage site (as of '88) and the last guy who tried to settle there was kicked off because of that.

Yup. Also, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Minerva

These people who go in with lots of money and top heavy organization are doomed to failure. There is not one centimeter of this world not claimed by someone. No one goes to Henderson Island. The natives go to its north or east shores and get some lumber once or twice a year and that's it. I see no reason why they or anyone else ever need know we're there.

And if they do find out, let them come to us. Let them send people to remove us from our homes and village. Let them raze our buildings, so it can go back to being uninhabited and of no value to anyone. Let them do it at their expense, and then try to extort their expenses from us poor folk with no money. We're not multimillionaire investors trying to set up cattle ranches and factories. We're just folk that want to be free. We can do it non-violently with a little bravery and disdain.

"Give me liberty or give me death!"

It means that a man is brave enough to take on any penalty issued by the force and power of the state for a chance at being a free man. Money talks, so let them speak with their money as to how much they want us off of their piss ant island. Let them spend hundreds of thousands of pounds removing us. It'll hurt them more than it'll hurt our investment if we're doing it right, and we could simply keep returning to the island until they give up or start imprisoning us. We have so little to lose, and that's even upon the unlikely event of our discovery.

Also, Henderson Island and the Pitcairns aren't really set in stone in my mind. There's so much to do before we actually begin colonization that it's pointless to even consider that, especially when we might not even hold together as a group long enough to carry out even the first steps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner?   Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Deisel Fishing Boat, or Sailing Schooner?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
#Pitcairn :: The Operation :: Economy & Agriculture-
Jump to: