#Pitcairn

The official forum for Operation Pitcairn.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Diogenes

PostSubject: Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.   Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:56 am

WHEREAS all individuals are possessed of inalienable rights;
WHEREAS all peoples have the right to self-determination;
WHEREAS the corporations claiming to be our legitimate governments have neither sought nor received consent by their people to govern;
WHEREAS our rights have been violated, circumvented, and eroded;
WHEREAS we have no outlet to express grievances nor hope of receiving justice, redress, or representation;
WHEREAS we are, under these corporations, not only not our own masters but also slaves by degree to parties beyond our influence or control;

THEREFORE do we, the undersigned, seek to establish a free and independent settlement upon terra nullius through peaceful homesteading.

Ensuring that our presence shall not infringe upon any other persons or their livelihoods, our settlement shall be established upon terra nullius that is neither inhabited nor worked by any persons whatsoever.

Respecting the land itself, our presence shall be sustainable and not bring such stress upon any non-destructive species that it is brought towards extinction.

Valuing above all else our individual liberties, we recognize and embrace the inherent rights of EXPRESSION, DEFENSE, PRIVACY, PROPERTY, JUSTICE, SOVEREIGNTY and MOBILITY.

RIGHTS

1. All individuals have the indisputable right to EXPRESSION of all information, opinions, creeds, media and ideas; free from censorship or interference.

[DRAFT NOTE: Language should exclude the right to be disruptively loud, to spam, to coerce, or to try to cause destruction as fire in a theatre or inciting genocide, etc. But so called 'hate speech' should be very specifically defined to avoid abuse. A lawyer I am not. I doubt we'll have any people calling for genocide, but still it is an expression of the principles we hold. Furthermore on the same point, it should expressly forbid laws against 'being offensive,' or enforcing civility or politeness. Yet the limits of nudity or sex, etc in public should also be defined.]

2. The government shall make no law banning, regulating, or controlling any firearm or conventional explosive from private ownership; nor shall it ban, regulate, or control any private militias or organizations.

3. The government shall not infringe upon any individual's right to privacy without due process of law. His communications, home, and property may not be monitored, tracked, searched, nor seized. An individual's residence shall not be deprived of privacy, nor must he be made to share the use of his home or land with another against his will. [Language here should protect the principle of a renter from a property owner abusing this to evict without notice. A man has rights relating to his residence, his 'castle.']

4. [Deals with economic freedoms or regulations, trust-busting, corporate power, etc. Actually I think this should be broken down and put in a second 'bill of rights,' dealing specifically with economic rights vs individual rights. Our nation should (and will as long as I'm a part of it) focus on individual liberties above all. Economic freedom is a different beast altogether, even if it deals with similar ground. One group of rights maximized will subtract from the other. Only one can be fully maximized.]

5. [Fair and speedy trial, freedom from self-incrimination, right to a legal defense, etc.]

6. [The government must have the consent of its people to govern through personal ratification and the ability to opt-out and/or leave the country, and also the government shall not prohibit the personal use of drugs of any kind. Includes a right to suicide by inherent implication.]

7. [No 'papers, please,' or no-fly lists, or Berlin walls, etc.]

[Feel free to help, or discuss.]

JUSTICE

GOVERNMENT
[Direct Democracy + Constitution]

Last edited by Diogenes on Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Voyd

PostSubject: Re: Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.   Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm liking all this so far, what about laws to protect inhabitants from violence? I think a fitting punishment for most heinous crimes could be a perma ban from the island. I agree with the right to have firearms, but explosives?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diogenes

PostSubject: Re: Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.   Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:22 pm

Voyd wrote:
I'm liking all this so far, what about laws to protect inhabitants from violence?

The non-aggression principle, though imperfect as a general axiom, adequately covers the principle of protecting against violence and coercion. Individual laws can be made regarding specific crimes like murder, torture, and rape and other kinds of violent crime.

Quote :
I think a fitting punishment for most heinous crimes could be a perma ban from the island.

Now, this I find very interesting. What would the punishment for truly heinous crimes be if banishment was not adequate. It would likely be death, and if no one really felt they had the authority to carry that sentence out it would be very complicated. I think firing squad by militia with only one real round and several blanks is the customary approach to that problem. I doubt anyone would ever dun goof so bad that it would need to be put into practice, but people do need to know we have that bazooka in our pocket.

On the topic of justice, can we take a vote as to who believes in 'An Eye for an Eye' and who believes in justice as it is (in theory) practiced today. 'An Eye for an Eye makes the whole world blind.'

Quote :
I agree with the right to have firearms, but explosives?

Do you have an argument for why they should be restricted? Can you define an explosive in a way that doesn't include ammunition or rockets, and vice versa? Why is it the government's business for who owns explosives, if they're not used for violence?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Voyd

PostSubject: Re: Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.   Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:52 pm

Well it seems like explosives only exist for one reason, and that's too destroy. I mean why would people ever need explosives, unless you need to demolish a huge ass building...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diogenes

PostSubject: Re: Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.   Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:02 pm

Voyd wrote:
Well it seems like explosives only exist for one reason, and that's too destroy. I mean why would people ever need explosives, unless you need to demolish a huge ass building...

Guns only exist to kill. There was a time when dynamite was available for sale in every hardware store. The sole reason for an armed populous is for replacing its government when it gets out of hand as it lately has done. It will inevitably happen again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Voyd

PostSubject: Re: Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.   Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:55 pm

how do people feel about the idea of not being able to own land, but only the shelter you build upon it? It always pissed me off that people could just take as much "unowned" land as they wanted to, and keep it locked up from the rest of the world if they so desired. It just doesn't seem right that some one can put a barbed wire fence around some woods or a lake and post a few signs giving them the right to kill anyone who goes past it. Should people really be aloud to own land? I'm sure if we worked on it we can create a law that protects peoples privacy but doesn't put cages around nature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Diogenes

PostSubject: Re: Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.   Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:23 am

This is a matter for much discussion. Property is a right; all livelihood comes from the insolation of the sun upon land which through the food chain becomes the livelihood for an organism. That is why territorialism has evolved independently so many times in so many animals.

The legal principle I've been operating on is that of homesteading. That is to say, if you work the land and improve it, you own it. Taking unworked land and working it means we have a stronger argument to the ownership of that land than its present claimants. Obviously it doesn't matter if you have a stronger argument if the state can steamroll you with its power, but on the principles of reason it's sound at least.

My thoughts on the matter is that the entire island should be owned in common and regulated by our laws, with lots of a uniform size distributed to each adult colonist until the lots run out. They work and improve their plot for a year, and then they own it. Eventually, plots run out and a new means of distribution would be necessary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.   Today at 11:48 am

Back to top Go down

Declaration of Mission and Independence, Draft.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1