#Pitcairn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

#Pitcairn

The official forum for Operation Pitcairn.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Edumacation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Voyd

Voyd

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 4:01 am

Which country in the world has the best education system? Probably a good idea to base it off an already working model.
Back to top Go down
Diogenes

Diogenes

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 8:01 am

Applying an industrial model of education to a tiny population is not necessary. And let's not forget all the pedophiles on 4chan. Or rather, a handful of pedophiles and a bunch of kids trying to be edgy.

Education begins at birth. By the time a child is seven or eight, their brain has finished developing the synaptic connections and analytical ability that they will have for the rest of their lives. This also happens to be the time when children are entering school for the first time. This is a pretty glaring flaw.

I believe the optimal education system is NOT based on the obsolete Prussian model which is used around the world. I believe optimally every child would be taught an East Asian language and English before 3, a musical instrument and basic maths by 5, and how to read and do multiplication and division by 7.

Since chinks don't seem more intelligent than Japs, I don't think there's any difference between the two languages. Learning to read and write in either language requires a massive amount of analytical ability to be developed, and learning two very different languages doubles up on that. Music and maths are the third and fourth languages. Teach the children these things, and give them insatiable curiosity, and you need not teach them anything else at all. Give them some OLPC tablets and they'll be outthinking you by 15 and more educated than you by early adulthood.

Other than codifying that into an education system and figuring out how to apply it uniformly from birth onwards is the only consideration we need make. Beyond that, we'd probably hinder their educations. Children want to learn when they're young; the institution of school typically beats that out of them.

Last edited by Diogenes on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 18, 2011 9:24 am

Last edited by 5456456456464545 on Fri May 25, 2018 1:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Panzer

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Quote :
Who needs to learn algebra? What's the point of learning the reaction of alkali metals? Instead of teaching children what they need to know, they try to cram in too much of the things they don't need, like algebra, and mostly ignore things like teamwork, which they will need.

While the rest of your post is decent, that's nonsense.
Mathematical skills require years of nurturing for one to become proficient enough at them that one can obtain a job in many technical fields. You can't have a society entirely based on people that know teamwork and nothing else.
Back to top Go down
Diogenes

Diogenes

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 7:08 am

Panzer wrote:
Quote :
Who needs to learn algebra? What's the point of learning the reaction of alkali metals? Instead of teaching children what they need to know, they try to cram in too much of the things they don't need, like algebra, and mostly ignore things like teamwork, which they will need.

While the rest of your post is decent, that's nonsense.
Mathematical skills require years of nurturing for one to become proficient enough at them that one can obtain a job in many technical fields. You can't have a society entirely based on people that know teamwork and nothing else.

Agreed. I was actually advocating mathematical literacy as one of four languages. English, Weeaboo, Music, and Maths in order to create powerful minds that would be able to learn anything else with ease.

Another note: Large working memories that can do advanced math mentally, can write perfect music in one's head before committing it to paper, and so on are what is commonly considered advanced intelligence. I don't suppose anyone has any ideas on how to nurture a working memory? I can't even keep three numbers in my head simultaneously, personally. I'd like my children to be a bit better at that.
Back to top Go down

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Last edited by 5456456456464545 on Fri May 25, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
traitor_dice

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 4:19 pm

For advancing memory, the only thing that springs to mind is (as useless as it sounds) memory games. However, these could be incorporated into the other areas, for example in music demonstrate a piece then see how accurately the student can recite it back to you, or in English use simple stories at first and eventually work up to longer pieces while testing the student's memory of details within the story. I'm not in any way qualified in education, I just know thats what helped me remember things.
Back to top Go down
Diogenes

Diogenes

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Yuntay wrote:

I wrote:
Agreed. I was actually advocating mathematical literacy as one of four languages. English, Weeaboo, Music, and Maths in order to create powerful minds that would be able to learn anything else with ease.

By weeaboo I'm going to have to assume you mean manga and the like. How will this benefit our society?

By weeaboo I mean learning fluent Japanese and its writing systems too at a very early age.
Back to top Go down

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Last edited by 5456456456464545 on Fri May 25, 2018 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Diogenes

Diogenes

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 4:47 pm

Yuntay wrote:
Ah, okay, but wouldn't trying to push four languages onto the child at such an early age not only ruin their childhood, but also be putting too much onto them at once? Also, wouldn't chinese be better? Seeing as they're going to be the world's most powerful nation in a decade or two, would it not be useful to know their language? I'm going to have to assume your reasoning for not suggesting chinese is that it has two versions and PRC uses the simplified version, which isn't as complicated as Japanese. Definitely something to look into though.

Surely being bilingual and able to do maths and play an instrument by 7 is not too ambitious, or do you intend to have dull children? And China might be industrializing, but they're a totalitarian state and the oil and prosperity is running low. Better to give them the language of the cultural power, the Nips, rather than of the economic power, the Chinks. A language unused is a language lost, and what use will they have of Mandarin, in practice? Japan will be a cultural dynamo for decades to come, producing much media for consumption, and the Chinks are doomed to Civil War in the approaching years when things stop going so well for them. Enslaved men cannot produce great artistic works, anyway, and China is a nation of slaves.
Back to top Go down

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 6:01 pm

Last edited by 5456456456464545 on Fri May 25, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Diogenes

Diogenes

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 6:52 pm

English is a freebie; math is too. Teaching music has been a classic part of education for centuries and we can find people to teach that without difficulty. And bilingual children are not a rarity; as you say it is our knowledge that is lacking. But not universally. There are many anons who can decipher the moon runes.

I see nothing difficult about the logistics nor the education itself. Cooperation makes up for a variation in the teachers.

Whatever your opinions on China, I trust you aren't saying China is going to begin a great upwelling of cultural output for our children to consume. They are slaves under the boot of their fascist, not communist, government. Slaves do not produce art.
Back to top Go down

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Last edited by 5456456456464545 on Fri May 25, 2018 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Diogenes

Diogenes

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 24, 2011 9:25 pm

I've already explained my reasoning. If you didn't get it the first time there's no sense in me explaining it again. I don't know of any nation on Earth that takes the courses of action I have proposed here, but if you wish to discard my proposal out of hand, that's your own business. Only through cooperation could we achieve any education system. And cooperation doesn't appear to be likely.

You are arguing against language, music, even math. Arguing for mediocrity without satire or sarcasm. I can scarcely believe it and I have zero interest with compromising with such dangerous and willful ignorance. For what purpose you take this line of so-called reasoning, I don't know. You'd rather teach them teamwork 'and other things.' Maybe you'll say to these children of fewer than seven years: "everybody buddy up!" Or maybe you'll put them into a hierarchy of commanders and minions. Or perhaps you have no reading comprehension and no vision and no willingness to accept an axiom even for the short duration that it takes to read an entire argument all the way through. Whatever the case, it seems everyone is intellectually bankrupt and absent of any ability to formulate their own independent ideas free from the prejudices and superstitions of the bygone 20th century.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Edumacation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Edumacation   Edumacation I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Edumacation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
#Pitcairn :: The Operation :: Education & Society-
Jump to: